Jolie will direct the drama for Universal Pictures.
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie will star together in By the Sea, a drama that Jolie has written and will direct for Universal Pictures.
Jolie and Pitt also will produce the project, which was announced Friday by Donna Langley, chairman of Universal Pictures, which has acquired all worldwide rights.
The couple last appeared onscreen together in 2005’s Mr. & Mrs. Smith, where they originally met.
olie is currently in postproduction on Unbroken, the true story of Olympian and war hero Louis Zamperini, adapted from author Laura Hillenbrand’s best-seller. Universal will release Unbroken, which Jolie directed and produced, on Christmas Day.
Jolie commented on the announcement: “I am very happy to continue my relationship with Donna and the entire Universal team as I finish Unbroken and begin work on By the Sea. They have created a very special place for storytellers, and I look forward to the continued passion and support they have provided to me as a filmmaker.”
“Angelina continues to showcase her extraordinary storytelling abilities in front of and behind the camera, and we are thrilled to extend our relationship with her on By the Sea,” Langley said. “Angelina and Brad represent two of Hollywood’s brightest talents, and we are excited to be a part of their collaboration on this powerful piece.”
Jolie is represented by UTA and Sloan Offer. Pitt is represented by CAA.
Ok, this is a RUMOUR. I usually don’t post rumours, but this is a fun one! I’d love to see Brad do something on Television and this would be a great idea! Here’s the article from Screen Crush:
Only one week removed from the “Form and Void” of ‘True Detective”s first season finale, and HBO has yet to formally confirm that Nic Pizzolatto’s anthology drama will return for a second season in 2015. Smart money tells us that the network may wait for Pizzolatto’s first scripts and locked-down casting to officially move forward, while the latest name supposedly put forth for ‘True Detective’ season 2 is none other than Hollywood A-lister Brad Pitt. Maybe.
Keep in mind that the unique production of ‘True Detective”s first season makes it all-but-impossible to determine anything conclusively about the potential second season, let alone when we might expect actual details to emerge, but for now HollywoodLife supposedly has it on some authority that Pitt has been approached for a potential second season. The article’s laughable repetition of the word “EXCLUSIVELY” seems more than suspect, but judge for yourself:
“Brad’s name has come up many times, it’s just a matter of what his other commitments are,” an insider tells HollywoodLife.com EXCLUSIVELY. “It’s the show everyone wants to be on, because the writing and the roles are just so exquisite and complex. Brad has tight relations with HBO — he teamed up with Ryan Murphy last year to produce the HBO movie The Normal Heart. I know everyone would be thrilled to have him onboard.”
Pitt certainly lies within the realm of possibility, as much as Matthew McConaughey or Woody Harrelson might have been thought to anyway, while we’ve had our own ideas about potential A-list talent ‘True Detective’ season 2 might court to keep its level of prestige. In addition to everything we know about ‘True Detective’ season 2 at least, series creator Nic Pizzolatto told HitFix that he’d like to focus on “hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system,” which could really mean anything, assuming we took it seriously.
You’ll want to take this Brad Pitt business with a shaker of salt at least, but what do you think? Would ‘True Detective’ season 2 do best to court more A-list stars for the leading roles, or go less high-profile? Tell us what you want to see from the (still-unconfirmed) second season.
While promoting his new film, “12 Years a Slave,” at the Toronto Film Festival, Brad Pitt was asked whether or not a sequel to “World War Z” was in the works.
“We’re certainly talking about it, yes,” he told Variety.
“World War Z,” one of the highest grossing films of 2013 and Pitt’s most successful movie ever, was the recipient of bad buzz early prior to its release but, in a reversal of fortune, went on to earn a whopping $533 million at the worldwide box office.
“We have so many ideas on the table from the time we spent developing this thing and figuring out how the zombie worlds work,” Pitt said in a new interview with Variety.
“We gotta get the script right first to determine if we go further.”
Based on the 2006 novel by Max Brooks, the zombie blockbuster underwent a complete rewrite and reshoot of the third act, hiking up the budget to nearly $200 million but “World War Z,” insiders say, ultimately prevailed thanks to an aggressive marketing campaign and positive reviews.
Paramount is said to be leaning on Pitt, whose company Plan B produced the film, to make another feature as the “World War Z” property was initially envisioned as a three-part franchise.
“We have so many ideas and so much information–we think we have a lot of stuff to mine from,” Pitt said.
Mireille Enos, who is in Toronto promoting her new film “Devil’s Knot,” told Variety said she’s on board 100% for the sequels.
“We’ll wait and see how the script turns out but yes, I’d love to come back.”
As for whom will write the second “World War Z” script remains to be seen.
Until then, Pitt next co-stars in and produces Steve McQueen’s “12 Years a Slave,” out in limited release Oct. 18.
Brad Pitt and World War Z is featured on the April 5th issue of Entertainment Weekly, here’s the cover and an excerpt from EW.com
Nobody ever said making the most expensive zombie movie of all time would be easy. For Brad Pitt and the filmmakers behind the upcoming thriller World War Z, it certainly hasn’t been. This week’s issue of EW takes you inside the tumultuous production of the blockbuster hopeful, which has involved reshoots, re-writes, and a budget that has ballooned from $125 million to over $170 million. “These movies are very intricate puzzles, and you have to keep winding the mechanisms,” Pitt says, while on the Paramount lot.
World War Z, which is based on the best-selling book by Max Brooks, took six years to develop and shoot, and a carousel of writers had their hands on the script before the project ever moved into production. Even after the initial shoot, the script overhaul continued. In October 2011, Paramount brought on Prometheus scribe Damon Lindelof to help tweak the third act, and Lindelof enlisted The Cabin in the Woods director and co-writer Drew Goddard for some assistance. Their changes called for five weeks of reshoots — not to mention an extensive portion of the film shot in Budapest ending up on the cutting room floor. “At the time I was really interested in a more political film,” says Pitt of the cut Budapest scenes. “[But] we got bogged down in it; it was too much to explain. It gutted the fun of what these films are meant to be.”
Perhaps that sense of “fun” was missing due to reported on-set tension between Pitt and his German-born director, Marc Forster, the helmer of Finding Neverland and Quantum of Solace. When asked to address rumors that they stopped speaking to each other during shooting, Forster and Pitt both shrug. “We’re in here every day, pounding away,” Pitt says.
At the end of the day, both Forster and Pitt, who is also producing the film, want World War Z to be the exciting, franchise-launching hit they both believe it could be. (If it does well, there are plans to turn it into a trilogy.) They hope audiences will respond to the film’s lightning-fast zombies that move in animal pack formations, and — as the new trailer proves — can swarm like a colony of ants to mount a huge wall. “[We asked] how to do it differently because
it’s been done so many times and been done pretty damn well,” says Pitt.
Did their vision of fast zombies come across “pretty damn well” on the screen? That’s for you to decide when the movie hits theaters on June 21. But if you’re eager for more on World War Z’s tough road to production, check out this week’s issue. Also inside, you’ll find a first look at Wolverine, an exclusive preview of the CW’s new Vampire Diaries spin-off, and all the scoop about the battle currently raging between NBC and Leno.
Looks like Brad has his eye on a new movie, WB recently acquired Pontius Pilate. Would be a very polemic move for Brad, that’s for sure. Here’s the article from Collider:
Warner Bros. recently acquired Pontius Pilate, a script by Vera Blasi (Woman on Top) about the Roman prefect who presided over Jesus’ trial and was convinced by the crowd to sentence Jesus to death. Even in his limited appearance in the Biblical canon, Pilate is portrayed as conflicted, reluctant to send a man he believes to be innocent to such a fate. Blasi has stated that in addition to “the available facts from Roman and Jewish history books and the four gospels,” she speculates to follow Pilate from childhood, showing his time in the military and his rise to political office. Blasi intends to use this character study as a launching point for “an investigation of the politics of Judea at the time, and what it was like to be occupied by Rome.”
All that is enough to intrigue me… and Brad Pitt. Deadline reports Pitt is circling the lead role. Pontius Pilate will provoke controversy no matter who stars, but Pitt’s star power and politics would magnify that, should he sign on.